2 Wheeled Treks - cycling events in NSW National Parks this October
Get on your bike this October and join one of the many 2 Wheeled Treks cycling and mountain biking events in national parks across NSW.
(SYDNEY) 30 August 2012 – Now in its second year, the NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service’s 2 Wheeled Treks community cycling events will be held across the state from 3 to 27 October 2012.
This year 2 Wheeled Treks has expanded to incorporate over a dozen events, many led by National Parks and Wildlife Discovery Rangers. Events range from leisurely meanders for all ages and fitness levels, through to adrenaline-charged challenges for mountain biking enthusiasts.
“2 Wheeled Treks offers a great opportunity for us to show off some of the best places for mountain biking in the state. Whether you are a mountain biking enthusiast, a cycling family, or just getting into the saddle for the first time, there are great cycling and mountain biking experiences to be found in national parks this October,” said NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service assets manager, Brian Ries.
“NSW has one of the most fantastic networks of national parks in the world, so grab your family and friends, get your heart pumping and discover some of the country’s most amazing natural spaces at one of these great cycling events.”
2 Wheeled Treks includes National Park Discovery-guided rides in national parks on the NSW North Coast, Mid North Coast, Hunter, Central Coast, Blue Mountains, Greater Western Sydney, Southerland and Illawarra Shires, South Coast and Western NSW during October 2012.
Visit www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/cycling for more information about how you can enjoy a fun and healthy way to experience these special places.
Contact: Lisa Collins
Starr Public Relations 02 9262 4622
State-wide 2 Wheeled Treks events in October
Please visit www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/cycling for more information about individual events.
- Freedom MTB Marathon: Saturday 13 October – Nightcap National Park
- Bongil Bongil Family Mountain Bike Ride: Saturday 13 October –Bongil Bongil National Park
Port Macquarie (NB change of location as of 17-9-12)
Convict Lime Kilns Mountain Bike Ride for Families: Saturday 20 October - Convict Lime Kilns Kumbatine National Park
For a rewarding cycle ride with some walking thrown in, we invite you to come exploring this intriguing site that contains the remains of the earliest Lime Kilns still existing in Australia. Nestled in dense bushland, they are located about 12 km west of the Pacific Highway at Kundabung between Kempsey and the turn off to Port Macquarie. People intending to come on this ride will need to transport their bikes to the meeting place in Silo Road via Smiths Creek Road. A map will be provided when booking. Bring your bike (make sure it is in good working order), spare tubes, helmet and plenty of water. An afternoon tea fruit plate will be provided.
When: Saturday 20 October, 1pm – 4.30pm
Where: Convict Lime Kilns Kumbatine National Park
Meeting place: Meet off Pacific Hwy and Smiths Creek Road intersection at Kundabung and drive in convoy to Silo Road.
Price: $10 adult $5 child – Bookings essential as spaces are limited.
Suitable for the whole family. We recommend that children be at least 10 years old and capable of riding at a moderate pace for the duration and distance of the ride.
Grade: Medium along hilly and rocky 4WD tracks.
Contact: Susan Phillips, Tel. 02 6588 5519 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Glenrock Family Discovery Challenge: Sunday 14October – Glenrock State Conservation Area
- Columbey National Park Family Bike Ride: Sunday 14 October – Columbey National Park
- 2012 Tour de Barrington: Postponed – Barrington Tops National Park
- Wild Wild World Mountain Bike Series: Saturday 13 October – Brisbane Waters National Park
- Wild Wild World Mountain Bike Ride: Sunday 14 October – Dhurag National Park
Blue Mountains / Oberon
- Kanangra Walls Waterfall Wonderland: Saturday 13 October – Kanangra-Boyd National Park
- Kanangra Classic MTB Enduro: Saturday 20 and Sunday 21 October – Kanangra-Boyd National Park
Greater Western Sydney
- XC Series Yellomundee: Sunday 21 October – Yellomundee Regional Park
Sutherland / Illawarra
- Lady Carrington Drive Family Discovery Ride: Saturday 13 October – Royal National Park
- Bike Brigade: Wednesday 3 October - Bournda National Park
- Beni Spring Spin: Saturday 27 October – Beni State Conservation Area