Maeve Plouffe pictured after winning the first Women’s Melbourne to Warrnambool in 2022.
in

‘Horrific consequences’: Maeve Plouffe reveals close call with car at Tour of Britain

Australian cyclist Maeve Plouffe has called attention to rider safety at the Tour of Britain Women after revealing she was nearly hit by a car during the opening stage.

Plouffe, 27, was chasing back towards the peloton after suffering a puncture during Wednesday’s opening stage in Cumbria when she encountered general traffic on the race route.

The Australian, who won Commonwealth Games team pursuit gold and individual silver in 2022, said she came close to being struck by a car on a roundabout.

“While the race convoy was still in sight, and I was less than two minutes down, there were cars from the general public coming at me from all directions, including one that nearly hit me on a roundabout,” Plouffe wrote on Instagram.

Plouffe, who rides for British Continental team O’Shea Red Chilli Bikes, ultimately abandoned the race after her puncture resulted in a lengthy chase.

She said the situation felt considerably safer once a race motorcycle escort arrived.

“Later on, the moto escort was wonderful, and I felt much safer,” she wrote.

Her comments came less than a week after the death of 19-year-old British rider Finlay Tarling at the Volta a Portugal. Tarling was killed after being struck by a non-race vehicle that had entered the course.

That incident has prompted renewed scrutiny of safety measures at professional road races, making Plouffe’s experience particularly concerning.

“But considering the recent devastating events in our cycling community, it’s scary to see situations like this, when we know that this can have horrific consequences, especially so soon after suffering such a tragedy,” Plouffe wrote.

Organisers reviewing incident

Tour of Britain organisers have responded to Plouffe’s concerns and confirmed they are reviewing what happened.

Jonathan Day, events director of British Cycling Ventures, which organises the Tour of Britain, said rider safety remained a priority.

“Rider safety is paramount and will always be treated as a priority in our planning and how we operate any race,” Day said in a statement.

He added that organisers were reviewing the incident with Plouffe and her team “with the seriousness and empathy these comments demand”.

The Tour had already paid tribute to Tarling before the women’s race began, with his image displayed on a large screen as the 114-rider field and spectators observed a minute’s applause.

Safety concerns remained an issue during Thursday’s second stage, which was neutralised for almost an hour following a separate road accident. Dutch sprinter Lorena Wiebes eventually claimed her second consecutive stage victory.

Australian Georgia Baker was also involved in a crash during the stage.

The Tour of Britain Women continues through Wales before finishing in Royal Leamington Spa on Sunday.

+ Posts

Mike O’Connor – A keen cyclist, runner and photographer, Mike O’Connor is the Editor of Bicycling Australia. He manages the BA website and social media, and loves promoting the achievements of Australian cyclists.

HAVE YOUR SAY

What do you think?

20 Points
Upvote Downvote

2026 Vuelta a España preview, part two: The riders to watch