The 2022 Vuelta a España begins tonight, the Spanish Grand Tour starting with a surprise twist in Utrecht, the Netherlands.
A record number of 16 Australians are expected to start the race, an impressive list of top Aussie talent that includes ‘22 Giro winner Jai Hindley.
The three-week race starts with an individual time trial then two other stages in Holland. Monday will be a transfer day prior to Stage 4 back in Spain.
Following the final Grand Tour of the year, many of the riders will then be making a beeline from Spain to Sydney then south to Wollongong for the 2022 World Championships which start on September 18.
Among the 16 enthusiastic Aussies to ride the Vuelta are Jay Vine who will start his second Grand Tour. Other than Jay and GC favourite Jai Hindley, the Aussies include –
- Luke Durbridge – BikeExchange-Jayco
- Kaden Groves – BikeExchange-Jayco
- Lucas Hamilton – BikeExchange-Jayco
- Michael Hepburn – BikeExchange-Jayco
- Kelland O’Brien – BikeExchange-Jayco
- Callum Scotson – BikeExchange-Jayco
- Ben O’Connor – AG2R Citroen
- Luke Plapp – Ineos Grenadiers
- Miles Scotson – Groupama-FDJ
- Rohan Dennisn – Jumbo -Visma
- Chris Harper – Jumbo – Visma
- Robert Stannard – Alpecin-Fenix
- Harry Sweeney – Lotto Soudal
- Jarrad Drizners – Lotto Soudal