Wagga Wagga is set to lay claim to the most comprehensive cycling facility in New South Wales after the announcement of a $9.2M bike park to be built at the inland city’s Pomingalarna Reserve by 2020.
Wagga Wagga Mayor Greg Conkey OAM made the announcement alongside NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian, and said the complex would cater for riders training for elite competition right through to recreational and junior riders.
Return On Investment
Jointly funded by the Local Council ($2.3M) and State Government ($6.92M), the complex will feature a criterium track, velodrome, mountain bike path, a day /night BMX track, a cycling education area, mountain bike playground, car parking, barbecue facilities and more.
“Wagga Wagga City Council has been working with our local cycling community for the past five years and through the NSW Government’s contribution of $6.92M and Council’s funding of $2.3M we can now make this exciting project a reality,” Mayor Conkey said.
“The multisport cycling complex will have a unique combination of on and off-road cycling and non-cycling facilities and will inject up to $11.7M into the local economy each year.”
State Premier Gladys Berejiklian said “healthy communities are vibrant communities.”
“We are building the spaces and places that enable everyone to participate in sport,”the Premier said.
“From children learning to safely ride, grandparents out for a morning walk to elite athletes training to ride for Australia, we are building regional sporting infrastructure so people of all ages to be their fittest, healthiest selves.”
The facilities will include
- An international level BMX track with 500 lux lighting
- A 1.8km hotmix sealed Criterium track
- Cycling education area
- Compacted earth Jump and Pump tracks
- Mountain Bike (MTB) Playground
- 333m outdoor hotmix Velodrome with lights
- Sealed car park for 30 vehicles and informal grass car park for 1000 vehicles
- Amenities building with toilets, change rooms, canteen, office space, storage area, meeting room and public address space
- Barbecues and shelters
- Fenced children’s playground
- Spectator facilities